Friday, April 18, 2014

Wickedly Phenomenal

Hello All,

***SPOILER ALERTS: TODAY I WILL BE TALKING ABOUT THE PLAY WICKED AND SOME SPOILERS MAY HAPPEN, WILL HAPPEN. IF YOU HAVE ANY INTEREST IN SEEING THIS PLAY LIVE PLEASE DON'T READ THIS. I DON'T WANT TO GIVE ANYTHING AWAY. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED****

A few weeks ago for my birthdya I went to see Wicked (read about it here and here). And I must say it was PHENOMENAL. The music was catch, I still listen to constantly in my car. THe acting was superb like only Broadway can really produce. But the best part was of course the story, characters and of course the plot twists!

Speaking of plot twist, I really am going to talk about them so if you haven't seen it please don't read this, I'll understand.

I loved the music of show with favorite ones being in no particular order...
Popular

For Good

What is this feeling?

Dancing through life

I'm Not That Girl

Aren't those good? I seriously listen to them all the time.

I loved the love story. I had heard the song I'm not that girl so I knew there was some sort of love story. Every good story in my mind has a love story but instead of only focusing on the love story. Instead they focused on the relationship between Glinda and Elphaba.

I also loved how much of the Wizard of Oz there was. The whole second act was about what was going on during the time Dorothy was there. They tell you how the house dropped on Elphaba's sister, Nessa. they showed what Gilinda was doing when she wasn't helping Dorothy find the wizard. We even found out how the flying monkeys came to be.

Source
My favorite parts were the plot twists. First and foremost starting with the fact that the Wizard who always wanted a child had one, he was Elphaba's sister! It makes you want to hate the Wizard, how could you have your own child killed? But luckily for Oz Glinda sent him away for killing her bestie.

We also found out who the Lion, Scarecrow and Tin Man really was.The lion was a coward because he was kept in a cage when he was a cub. But then Elphaba and Fiyero saved because suprisingly, at least to me, a lot of story had to do with animal rights. Anyone who has seen this does this surprise you?

The Tin Man was the boy who Nessa, Elphaba's sister and the one who was crushed by th house, was in love with. But he was instead in love with Glenda and lead Nessa on most of the play. Hence him being heartless.

The final one suprised me slightly which was that Fiyero, the man that both Glenda and Elphaba loved at one point was the scarecrow. Which was sweet because Elaphaba loved him so much that she saved him from the hunters. And he was slightly clueless, hence being brainless.

But you know how at the end of The Wizard of Oz the Wicked Witch of the West dies? Well that didn't really happen instead was Elaphaba and Fiyero ran off into the sunset letting Glenda think they were both dead. Which in my mind was the most heartbreaking part of it all because Glenda didn't want Elphaba to leave her because she was her best friend. Cue the waterworks.

Overall I don't have enough words to describe how much I loved this play. If you've seen the play what did you think? Let me know in the comments below. 

3 comments:

  1. I love love love Wicked! If you liked the story, you might be interested in reading the books (I think there are now 4 in the series). They're a bit darker than the musical, but have more of the political commentary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking about checking them out, I might over the summer. Thanks for reading!
      XOXO,
      Emma

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! Comment always make my day!